Nearly 50% of all calls received by Pet Poison Hotline involve human medications (both over-the-counter and prescription).
Share this Post
OMG! Help! It’s a Dog Head Injury!
Has this happened to you before?
In the middle of the night (half asleep) you open a bottle of pills and they fly everywhere. This is exactly what happened to me. Begrudgingly, I pulled out the vacuum cleaner to make sure NO scattered pills are left behind on the carpet. Galileo (my companion dog) will eat anything in sight. The last thing I wanted to deal with was a pet poison or a pet poison hotline because of my carelessness.
Upon waking, I see my dog with a huge gaping head injury. She was very groggy and could barely walk. Terrified, I rushed my dog to the vet. I told the vet about the awful pill mess on the carpet. They shaved, cleaned, and tried to stitch my dog’s head injury. The gape was too large. I was gently reprimanded and firmly told to take extra care with ALL medications and my pet. She could have died because of pet poison due to medication. To this day people and kids will ask me what happened to your dog’s head?
My advice to you, open your pills in the bathroom with the door closed. If pills spill, it’s in a small confined area. As a safety net, take the time and sweep and vacuum the floor. KEEP THE KIDS AND PETS OUT! Pay attention to the behavior of your pet to make sure they did not eat any of the medication.
How to Prevent Pet Poison Home Accidents:
- Research the Internet for pet poison prevention measures prior to accidents.
- Make your home and medicine cabinet kid and pet-friendly safe.
- Program your cell phone with your vet’s telephone number and Pet Poison Hotline.
These three simple measures can save lives.
Pet owners who are serious about pet-proofing their home should start with their own medicine cabinet. Nearly 50% of all calls received by Pet Poison Helpline involve human medications – both over-the-counter and prescription. Whether Fido accidentally chewed into a pill bottle or a well-intentioned pet owner accidentally switched medication (giving their pet a human medication), pet poisonings due to human medications are common and can be very serious. For more information click Pet Poisons Hotline.
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435